Power and Energy Systems Concentration Requirements
Students pursuing the Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering degree may choose to add a concentration in Power and Energy Systems. The plan of study for the BSEE with a Concentration in Power and Energy Systems is similar to the BSEE plan of study with two primary exceptions:
- All BSEE students are required to complete Technical Elective courses. Students pursuing the BSEE with a Concentration in Power and Energy Systems are required to enroll in approved Power and Energy Technical Electives courses. See Course List (below).
- During the senior year, Power and Energy Systems Concentration students must complete an intensive, two-semester, energy-related, senior design project.
Furthermore, students in the Concentration are strongly encouraged to take the Fundamentals of Engineering exam prior to graduation.
Change of Major, Minor or Concentration Form
How to Enroll in the Power and Energy Systems Concentration
Students pursuing the Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering Degree (B.S.E.E) may apply to the Power and Energy Concentration in Electrical Engineering after successfully completing their sophomore year with a GPA of at least 3.0. To be admitted to the program, students must have completed Physics II (PHYS 2102), Calculus I, II, and III (Math 1241, 1242, and 2241), Matrices and Linear Algebra (MATH 2164), and Network Theory II (ECGR 2112). Application for the concentration takes place during the semester that the student is enrolled in ECGR 3142, Electrical Energy Conversion.
Students must enroll in the following Power and Energy courses in order to earn the concentration:
- ECGR 4141: Power System Analysis I
Concentration Technical Elective Courses (6 hours) - Select two of the following
- ECGR 4104: Computational Methods in Power Systems
- ECGR 4113: Modeling and Analysis of Dynamic Systems
- ECGR 4123: Analog and digital Communication
- ECGR 4142: Power System Analysis II
- ECGR 4143: Electrical Machinery
- ECGR 4144: Power Electronics I
- ECGR 4151: Solar Cell Fundamentals and Technology
- ECGR 4171: Introduction to Energy Systems
- ECGR 4172: Energy Markets
- ECGR 4190: Power Generation Operation and Control
- ECGR 4191: Dynamic and Transient Analysis of Power System
****Additionally, during the senior year, Power and Energy Systems Concentration students must complete an intensive, two-semester energy-related senior design project. For more information contact Ms. Nan Bousaba at email@example.com.****